New Theatre Department Head brings fresh outlook

COURTESY/UNITHEATRE
A snapshot from a UNITheatre production. While the Theatre Department felt the sting of low enrollment and hiring freezes from the COVID-19 pandemic, the program is hopeful and looking to the future.

Following the 2020-2021 academic year, two faculty members left the University of Northern Iowa Theatre Department and a hiring freeze prevented replacements. This caused concern amongst students and staff over the possibility of further cuts to the program. These fears seem to be waning as the department welcomes new Department Head, William Hickman.

Hickman comes to UNI from Pasadena City College in Pasadena, California where he worked as an Assistant Professor of Theater. He has worked as a Stage Combat Instructor in Los Angeles and graduated from UCLA with an MFA in Fine Arts.

Starting in August 2023, Hickman replaced Eric Lange, who served as Department Head for 20 years and has been a UNI faculty member since 1995. Lange is preparing for retirement but has stayed onboard to provide Hickman with guidance during the transition. While adjusting to the job, Hickman expressed that he is thankful for Lange and the other staff members for their willingness to help him get acquainted to UNI. Both Lange and Hickman praised the faculty at UNI. 

Pullquote Photo

The people you work with matter.

— William Hickman, UNI Theatre Department Head

“It’s a people industry with a focus on collaboration,” Lange stated. “UNI Theatre has been around well over 100 years and the arts are essential,” he added. 

The department is still facing challenges. Lange has expressed appreciation for various building repairs that have been done recently. “We have received lighting and seating upgrades,” he said. As with other campus buildings, the facilities are aging and in need of care.

There is also some fear that the staff is being overworked. The department has relied on the broader community to provide guests for productions and training. Hickman expressed concerns that guests can only do so much, and full-time faculty are better suited to the needs of students. However, Hickman praised UNI Theatre for its “young and exciting” student productions and remained optimistic about the future of the department. 

“There was a small downturn during the pandemic but student enrollment in theatre has remained steady since Fall 2022,” John Fritch, Dean of the College of Humanities, Arts, and Sciences said. Fritch noted arts that largely rely on in-person meetings have struggled during the pandemic and that “rebuilding live audiences” has been a challenge over the past few years. But Fritch remains optimistic as he believes people recognize the value of theatre as an area of study, noting that it “provides good career opportunities and chances for community engagement.” Fritch also expressed admiration for UNI Theatre faculty for their “passion and dedication” to students.  

Third year UNI Theatre Performance major, Braden Hoyer said he feels positive about the direction of the department. Hoyer has participated in multiple productions at UNI and is thankful to have had the opportunity to interact with different faculty members.

“I was a freshman when the hiring freeze happened. They held a big department meeting and were upfront about it. I appreciated the communication,” Hoyer said. “We have had some issues with offering students the classes they need to graduate. A lot of freshman and sophomores haven’t had academic advising from theatre advisors themselves, but the staff are doing the best they can.” 

Hoyer added, “We miss out on some expertise, and it would benefit students and faculty if we had a few more professors who specialize in different things.” 

Hoyer expressed admiration for the other new faculty members, Katy Hahn and Kendra Kahl. He said, “They are getting asked to do a lot of different things and they do amazing work.” He also praised Production Manager, Katy McGlaughlin, for her hard work as well. 

“I think the faculty commitment to student success is absolutely wonderful,” Hoyer said. He added that he hopes to see more involvement in UNI Theatre from all students on campus. “Auditions are open to very single student no matter what major,” he said. 

UNI Provost José Herrera stated, “We are trying to rebuild theatre in a post-COVID world.” Herrera felt that live performances provide a “special kind of dynamic” that is not easily achieved remotely. 

Like many departments on campus, UNI Theatre felt the sting of low enrollment and hiring freezes which were repercussions of the COVID-19 pandemic when in-person activities and economic activity stalled. As enrollment numbers for UNI climb in the Fall of 2023, the department seems to be finding itself in a healthier place as the world returns to something resembling normalcy.

Upcoming productions at UNI:

– “Dracula: A Feminist Revenge Fantasy” on Oct. 26-28 and Nov. 2-4 at 7:30 p.m., Oct. 29 and Nov. 5 at 2 p.m. in Bertha Martin Theatre

– “Heathers: The Musical’ on Feb. 23-24 and March 1-2 – 7:30 p.m., Feb. 25 and March 3 at 2 p.m. in Strayer-Wood Theatre 

– “Suzette Who Set to Sea” on April 20 at 10:30 a.m. and April 21 at 2 p.m. in Bertha Martin Theatre