Panther Mayhem was originally called the Panther Pep Crew when the group first emerged in 2009. The name Panther Mayhem came about eight years later in 2017. When COVID-19 hit, Panther Mayhem was greatly affected. After a hiatus, Panther Mayhem came back to UNI at the start of the fall 2023 season.
COURTESY
Categories:

Panthers are causing Mayhem

Panther Mayhem is ready to be loud and proud this homecoming weekend. Throughout the school year, Mayhem has been a staple of UNI Athletics. A quick glance into the student section shows a wave of purple and gold, some students even wearing their gameday bibs. Mayhem’s organization works to get students involved in athletic games, from football to volleyball. 

Executive board members of Panther Mayhem Dani Duffey and Kylie Ryder reiterated how students may find Panther Mayhem to be intimidating, but the concept of the organization is to bring students together. Duffey noted that “you show up to games, you have fun and that’s it.”

A member of Mayhem doesn’t have to do anything, just showing up to events is what counts. The goal of this organization is to just have fun while participating in campus events. Some students are scared away by getting involved, but finding something to be a part of is easy. Both Duffey and Ryder expressed how being a part of the Mayhem is low-commitment and high-reward. It’s a place for students to gather and show their school spirit for UNI.

Many students at UNI refuse to attend athletic events for a variety of reasons, but the community that Mayhem creates in the stands is memorable among attendees. Duffey and Ryder revealed that in order to enjoy your time in the stands, it comes down to the individual. Every person that is a part of Mayhem makes the organization what it is. Duffey said “Some students say we don’t have a good student section, but it is really worth cheesin’ it up a bit.”

Panther Mayhem involvement has been steady throughout the year. Duffey and Ryder explained that they are always looking for more people to turn up to events. In the past, Mayhem has given away $1,000 scholarships to randomly selected students in the crowd. The organization is constantly working to provide a relationship between student athletes and students who are not athletes. Ryder added, “engaging the audience allows the regular student body see athletes as more than just athletes”

This weekend, UNI has three homecoming athletics events for students to attend. Women’s Volleyball is 6 p.m. in the McLeod Center, Women’s Rugby is 7 p.m. on the Intramural fields and Football is this Saturday at 4 p.m. in the UNI-Dome. At the football game, mascots TC and TK will be picking out a student from the crowd who is wearing the most purple. Whoever is selected will receive a prize from Panther Mayhem.